tangazo

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fan apologizes for confronting Ferdinand

Joe Hart, Rio Ferdinand, Manchester city fan, Tevez 
The Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and tried to confront Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand during Sunday’s Manchester derby has issued an apology.


Matthew Stott, 21, attempted to square up to Ferdinand, who had been struck by a coin moments earlier, but was restrained by Joe Hart and subsequently arrested.

Stott has now been charged with pitch encroachment, but released a statement via his solicitors apologizing to everyone involved, particularly Ferdinand, and offering remorse for his actions.

"I would like to apologize to all those affected by my actions yesterday, particularly Mr Ferdinand and the other players," he said in the statement. “I am extremely ashamed of my actions. I have let myself down, my family down, my fellow fans down and Manchester City Football Club.

"I intend to write personally to Mr Ferdinand to express my extreme regret and apologies and also apologize to Manchester United and their fans. I would like to thank Joe Hart for his actions when I came on the pitch."

Rebecca Caulfield of Stephen Lickrish & Associates is the solicitor representing Stott, and she added:

"Scott is a hardworking man who has held a full time job as a landscape gardener for four years and lives with his partner of five years. He has never been to court before and has never been in trouble with any of the stewards at Manchester City Football Club before or at any other ground. He is extremely remorseful and is mortified by his behavior which is completely out of character.

"This was a momentary mistake by Mr. Stott which has led to him being charged, brought shame on his family, and will bring sanctions on the club that Mr. Stott has supported all his life.

"Mr. Stott will accept the consequences of his actions. He would like to make clear that he is not the stereotypical drunken football fan but a fan that attends games with his father. He is embarrassed and ashamed of his temporary moment of madness that has brought wider consequences on the club he supports and his fellow fans."

No comments:

Translate